ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Autoconf macro contribution enclosed

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Autoconf macro contribution enclosed
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:01:05 +0100

intrepid wrote:
Got a wrong address to you Guido, the first try.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 08:02:08AM -0500,  wrote:

Hello Conf-o-nauts,

Attached is a macro for inclusion  in the AC macro archive(s).

Hi Soren,

I didn't have the time to look at it immediatly, sorry, I like to review
all macros before pushing them upstream, ye know. So, here we go ;-)

First of all, your macro looks good algorithmically but it was a bit
hard to read - you seem to have your own style. The lots of dnl's
do not quite help the eye to catch the flow of code, but hey, YMMV. 8)

Besides that,
- m4-quote all uppercase-only things to-be defined just in case someone
  else did it already (which comes up more often than one might expect first)
  this is for AC_PATH_PROG(PERLINTERP,p ..  AC_SUBST(PERL_SHEBANG)dnl
- the sed -ne"..." looks weird, a space inbetween would be good (for the other
  -e as well), and the -n effect can be given with 2nd -e "d"
- the case-constru in the middle has a missing ;; (it was never hit in your
code?)
- the test A${...+set} would be doublequoted slightly better
- the _somian_* vars are temporary? As well as _sHpB ?
- don't shout in messages - simple "ok" is enough, and calling things by name
  as "perl shebang" is better than showing off code - the configure user is
often
  not a coder but simply a packager or someone to install locally.
- I do not even known if the average user knows what a "shebang" is - better use
  a street name like `perl script interpreter` - btw, sometimes the code speaks
of
  shebang and sometimes of sharpbang.
- the macro name and defined variable disagree PERLSHARPBANG vs PERL_SHARPBANG
  vs PERLINTERP

so actually, just minor things, HTH, useful macro anyway,
have lots of fun,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ s+:a d(+-) r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)