accessibility

[Accessibility] Re: [Ghmm-list] Can you help write a free version of HTK

From: Mathieu Blondel
Subject: [Accessibility] Re: [Ghmm-list] Can you help write a free version of HTK?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:32:54 +0900

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Bill Cox <address@hidden> wrote:

> Would Sphinx do as good a job as Julius?  I haven't dived into any of
> the Sphinx code, but I have tried several Sphinx based programs in the
> past, and all of them had trouble recognising speech at a rate that
> would prove useful for real work.  Simon is basically the only mostly
> open source program that has impressed me with it's recognition rate,
> though I don't understand the details of why this is the case.

As far as I know, Julius is only a speech decoder (recognizer) while
Sphinx can do both training and decoding. What you could actually do
is train HMMs with Sphinx and decode them with Julius. This would
probably require file conversion tools, though.  However, more than
the software, I believe the biggest issue for open-source speech
recognition is speech data, although Voxforge * may help there. Also
as commented by someone else before, there's a big difference between
just implementing HMMs and getting a complete speech recognition
system to work. Even in the ideal case (software and data available to
you), it takes a lot of expertise to build such a system.

Mathieu

[*] http://www.voxforge.org/