accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Solutions

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Solutions
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:34:28 -0700

Hi, Susan.  Your father should dictate his text.  If he can afford it,
services like speakwrite can help witth transcription.  However, his
memoirs probably need an editor.  My step-father did this for a good
friend who flew B-17 bombers in WWII.  You or a friend or relative who
want to preserve his memories might be the best editors.  Not that I
have much experience here, but elderly people I know who have aging
related impairments don't tend to adapt well to new technologies.  I
would consider taping conversations with him, and take on the
transcription problem as a separate challenge.  My step-father would
take is friend once a week to a shack where they could grill lunch and
tape a story.  It took two years, but it turned out to be a heck of a
book, which I'll name simply because someone would just ask me
otherwise: No Foxholes in the Sky, by Harry Conley.

Anyway, the direction in FOSS accessibility software should and
generally does seem to put people's immediate needs first, and
software freedom second.  I think the reason for this never-ending
debate is that people who want to contribute to accessibility software
wind up having to do so in a FOSS community.  How else can people with
disabilities cooperatively write accessible software?

Bill