accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Updating the accessibility statement

From: Devin Prater
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Updating the accessibility statement
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 19:55:03 -0600

I don’t have any evidence. I wish I did. The lack of one well-defined standard, and QT’s pretty bad accessibility so far, really don’t offer much hope. But for individual development teams, maybe there is future in that at least. I was able to get Retroarch accessible, and that is a big win, for me at least. Now, I don’t know if they’ll do any more for us, and I don’t know if that will be the way most developers will react, but I think that if we make it big enough, the FSF could be convinced to give more money to fund accessibility research, or accessible packages and sites. I try not to be too hopeful about these things, because like large companies, large organizations do not have to care. Even more so, large organizations usually aren’t as organized, may not be held accountable, so can care less than companies. But maybe there is some hope, at least. Well, unless we get to the point where developers say, for example, “well there are blind coders, so they can make an operating system. Oh hey, there’s Slint, why are you bothering us  Cinnamon devs and not using your blind OS?” On a better note, imagine, a desktop interface which is a joy to use. Then again, Microsoft had sort of that goal too, and after four years, I still don’t enjoy using windows 10, with its, audibly speaking, text only, monochrome interface with its ribbons, workarounds, and screen readers with hotkeys which are awful to teach sometimes because Insert + F12 has no meaning anymore, taken from Insert + F11, system tray, and Insert + F10, window list. I’ll probably write a short blog post about that.