adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] sample map

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] sample map
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:07:13 +0200

On Mon, 27 May 2002 02:19:21 +0000 cirrus wrote:

> > I like that a lot!
> > WE's scale seems a bit big compared to the rest though.

Yeah. I haven't made any effort to assure an equal scale over the whole
map. Some sort of grid might have helped. A cell could for example
represent a screen in the actual game. That might be helpful for the
actual map design, as you could judge how far things have to be away so
the player doesn't see them, etc.

> > I had a
> > similar thing I did once - I'll see if I can find it. I ws
> > concentrating more on the in-the-mountains bit. I was thinking the
> > path would follow the big river a bit more and give us an excuse to
> > do some cool waterfalls :)

True, there's only one waterfall you can really see. But that's easily
changed. I didn't really have anything special in mind when drawing that
map. I just kept adding things as I went along. If you'd do it for real,
it might be a good idea to make a few places that have to be on the map
and then do the stuff in between. If you'd place those 'fixed' locations
on different scraps of paper, you could even move them around and try
different compositions.

> Aw! You got me going now - I've just made a BIG map which is a mix of
> your map and my old one! I should be revising dammit!

Sorry ;).

> I'll scan it tomorrow and send it!

Cool. I admit my mountains aren't too mountain-like. But what appears to
be a plain surface on that map might be full of smaller hills and
canyons in reality. The scale didn't allow for too much detail.

Anyway, looking forward to your result :)

Kai