adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] Getting back into Adonthell...

From: James Nash
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Getting back into Adonthell...
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 20:23:45 +0100

Hey-ho!

I want to get back into making some graphics for Adonthell. I'm still no better
at drawing people so I guess I'd focus mainly on map and UI graphics. :-)
(Besides, it looks like Ingo already made a whole load of lovely character
sprites.)

I've had a few ideas and questions knocking about in my head but I think I'll
put those into separate emails so that this thread doesn't get too muddled.

What I'd like to focus on here is how to get back up and running with all the
latest tools for making sprites, models and maps. My only computer right now is
a MacBook with OS X 10.6. I downloaded the world test demo and it runs, but
there's no tools binaries.

I had a quick look at the instructions for building from source, but it looks
like there's a whole load of dependencies I'd need to resolve first. (I've got
XCode installed and I'm not adverse to installing Fink or something like that
if it helps)

So, I figured it might just be faster if I ask here how best to get started on
my Mac.

Oh yeah, where do you keep the graphics files these days? I grabbed the
sourcecode from Git but didn't see any PNGs. Are they in another repo?

Cheers!

        - James

PS:
If OS X is not fully supported, I could probably install Linux on a partition
or via virtualisation. FWIW, I do also have a Windows 7 bootcamp partition but
I'm not massively keen on using it as it won't control my GPU fan properly and
sometimes makes my machine overheat :-(