adonthell-minigame

Re: [Adonthell-minigame] Wumpus game

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-minigame] Wumpus game
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:10:48 -0600 (CST)

I have a question of implementation:

How do we implement an IF game within a graphical rpg? I suppose the
player might find the game (and associated reward) in an enchanted book -
for example, a spellbook wanting the character to earn access to the book.
In this case, playing the wumpus game might earn the character a token of
wisdom. Playing again might gain a stronger token - for example, an Elvish
battlemage with one rank in each element wants to learn simple spells. If
the same character returns to the book later with two ranks in each, he
gains full access to the book.

However, for most every mini-game, I think there should be an alternate
way of getting to the same reward or result: for example, in Cronotrigger,
when the party was in the future and had to cross the continent between
labs, they could jump on a jetbike and race, or they could take a chance
at walking the distance and fighting monsters along the way. For a while,
it was best to walk, as the monsters could overpower the party.
Eventually, however, the balance of power was such that it was just easier
to walk, since characters like Crono and Frog could kill things by looking
at them crossily. I guess what I mean to say is that with such minigames,
there might be two kinds of situations where it's advantageous to play the
game - when the obstacle to get around is too much for the player and
again when passing through the obstacle gains the player no appreciable
reward.

Andrew

--
Andrew Phillips