advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] MP2

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] MP2
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:00:03 +0200

Am Tuesday, dem 05. Jun 2007 schrieb Alexandro Colorado:

> You have to remember how does hardware mp3 player works. The decoder
> of mp3 is on a chip, that chip might present decoding options for
> other formats rather than mp3 and that is where you get the
> compatibility or not.

MP2 is a subset of MP3.
But as Matt Flaschen pointed out, it is also patent encumbered. :-(

> The other was to decode which is slower is if you have a software
> decoder of mp3 this will allow you to create an entity on the memory
> and the memory will do the decoding part.
>
> To an extend I am impressed why we are not pushing the chip
> manufacturers to add machine-level decoding to ogg.

In the beginning some have tried and failed. The example implementation
relied on floating point math. The cheap chips were not able to
handle this.

Today there is Tremor: a fixed-point version of the Ogg Vorbis decoder.
http://wiki.xiph.org/Tremor

See also the Hardware page of Xiph.org's wiki:
http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisHardware
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/hardware.html (outdated)

--
AKFoerster