advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?

From: Alexandro Colorado
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:21:26 -0500

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:14:04 -0500, Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> wrote:

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

Hmm.  I didn't know about that (I'll sign up).  Maybe they can be merged
now.

* why is it vorbis-focused and doesn't include speex, flac, theora, or
dirac?

I think mainly because vorbis is the closest equivalent to MP3, and MP3
is the most popular lossy codec now.

* why does it have such a strong vlc focus when there's other software
that supports Ogg Vorbis, too?

I think because they wanted simple instructions.

* why is xiph only mentioned in passing and not as the core
organisation to address wrt Vorbis? (the recent changes of wording are
good, btw :)

I don't think it was meant as a slight (probably simplification again),
but Xiph does deserve the credit.

The more people talk about open codecs, the better - we all want a free-er world.

Agreed.

Matt Flaschen

Just to remind ya'll that this patent is a US-centric issue. Meaning that it is free as in freedom. But is illegal in the US. It is free in europe were there is no patents encumberment.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jza