advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Getting Ogg decoding on all PC apps

From: Jon T
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Getting Ogg decoding on all PC apps
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:58:12 -0600

I really love Ogg. Ogg is my audio codec for almost all of my listening and I also use Flac as a audio codec for archiving my audio and will use it at times on my PC.

My question is in wanting to share some of my private Ogg audio files with some others from my web site.
The issue is wanting to make it very simple for others to provide their PCs with Ogg decoding that can have whatever Windows audio/multimedia that they are using. Is it possible ? I guess having it add to the Windoz Media Player is a good idea, but I would like to know if I can send one file, have them do one step, then allow the Ogg decoder to be availble to all software.
I possibly might be dreaming about this, if so, I guess I can send them a open source player with the appropriate codecs to use, but I would like to make this as painless as possible for those I want to share my private Ogg encoded audio files.

Any ideas ??

I get my Ogg encoders/decoders at rarewares.org.  Here is what is online currently for Ogg. http://rarewares.org/ogg.php
I tend to encode my audio using the latest Ogg aoTuVb5 codec and will use vary the software I use, but they all encode using the same Ogg encoder.

I will have to mention that I do lots of my listening on my amazing Cowon D2 portable multi-media player. The tiny thing is outputting 74 watts of audio, with tons of ways to customize it to my liking, support for SD and SDHC cards, etc.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2/index.html .
The Cowon and IAudio portable multimedia players all have Ogg and Flac decoders in them. Besides, they are so superior in fidelity than the Ipus and its limitations. PLEASE don't purchase portable multi-media/mp3 players that DON'T support the superior open source codecs like Ogg (Flac and Monkey's Audio are cool as well).

Thanks,

Jon