af-test

[Af-test] reception

From: Betsy Velez
Subject: [Af-test] reception
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:36:02 +0200

Surely it doesnt make you any happier to go aboutquaking in fear of Hell fire? She had been saying that if death ends all,then there is no hope and no meaning in anything. What made you take it into your head to run away like that?
I dont believe in it any longer, if thats what you mean. A bitlate in the day, perhaps, but better late than never. I shall go on with it, justthe same as before. At any rate, Mrs Semprills in disgrace, and so all thepeople shes slandered must be martyrs. Dorothy put her arms round his neck and touched his silver-palecheek with her lips. Things change in your mind, she repeated.
And my income is only seven hundred a year.
I hope seven devils havent entered into youinstead? A few months ago she was foolish enough to put some of it inwriting.
Dorothy hardly spoke for the firsthalf-hour of the journey. Let me put it to you, he said, in the form of a bargain. You stick to the Christianscheme of things, but you leave Paradise out of it. Dorothy put her arms round his neck and touched his silver-palecheek with her lips. Ye OldeTea Shoppe was enlarging its premises, to the further disfigurementof the High Street.
Her mind struggled with the problem, while perceiving that therewas no solution. Have youreally considered what your future will be like if you dontmarry?
Not much that was of interest had happened in the town. Dorothy sat silent and listening with intent and horrifiedfascination.
And it wasnt thatId reasoned it out; it just happened to me. Her mind struggled with the problem, while perceiving that therewas no solution. In these country placestheres always a certain amount of suspicion knocking about. Youve got rid of a load of superstitious rubbish, and you ought tobe glad of it.
Thats what youll become, what you mustbecome, however much you foresee it and try to avoid it. I though you would have seen something about it in the newspapers. Somehow, Dorothy never believed that they would succeed in gettingher box from Mrs Creevy. It is the things that happen in yourheart that matter. It was the kind of thing that you pious people would ascribeto the finger of Providence. But let me put the business side of it first. The little I had passed away quite painlessly at the age of nine.
Youre a little toofond of that depressing word useful. I dont see that it makes any difference, she said finally.
A few months ago, all of asudden, it seemed as if my whole mind had changed.
Mr Warburton, with his head cocked a little on one side, gaveDorothy a rather curious look.
In these country placestheres always a certain amount of suspicion knocking about. And then the whole world changes,because you look at it differently.
The point is that all the beliefs I had are gone, and Ive nothingto put in their place.