aleader-announce

[Aleader-announce] autism connection

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Aleader-announce] autism connection
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:28:59 +0530

I am sending this out because I think I have found a solid
link between "witness state" and autism research.

+ Many spiritual teachers have spoken about "3rd person
perspective" in connection with "witness state".

+ In the philosophy section, I have discussed "3rd person
perspective", looking at the different ways attention configures
between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person perspectives.

+ One important configuration of attention is called
"mind-reading" or "theory of mind" by autism researchers.
This style of attention is what allows you to enjoy the
emotions while watching a film.  In reality, film does not
contain any emotions -- there is only picture & sound.
It is your mind-reading ability which produces the emotions
while watching a film.

+ People affected by autism have a very poor mindreading
ability.  This has been experimentally verified.

+ One treatment for autism: Teach people how to read emotions,
framing the task in a typical computer game format appealing
to children. See <http://www.human-emotions.com>.

+ Aleader is extremely similar to human-emotions.com.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader