ampu-dev

[Ampu-dev] [Fwd: The Debian vote taking machinery (Very Long)]

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: [Ampu-dev] [Fwd: The Debian vote taking machinery (Very Long)]
Date: 26 Feb 2002 12:18:55 +0000

This was posted on one of the debian developers' mailing lists.  You
guys might remember that I had thought of getting our system up to
speed, and proposing that debian developers use it instead of their
current voting system?  This is it ;)  Actually, it has a few
interesting features.  They allow you to change your mind, for example,
by simply casting a more recent vote.

I like the simplicity of this (the "UNIX philosophy" he refers to) a
lot, too -- it has lots of reused tools like ldap and gpg, rather than
implementing custom security, databases, etc.  It would be great to
follow this model on the server side, if possible.  However, there will
be a lot of database management on the client side too (storing
messages, etc), and it may be easier just to implement storage in a
library shared between both client and server components.  I don't
really know about security yet... submit public keys during
registration, use gpgme to sign all messages?

The DPL vote referred to, just as a sidenote, is for "Debian Project
Leader", -- which I imagine is quite a big responsibility, given the
size of the Debian Project.  Great to see it being decided this way.
The Debian team actually have a debian-vote mailing list just for this
kind of stuff =)