ampu-dev

RE: [Ampu-dev] New site sections

From: Stover, Michael
Subject: RE: [Ampu-dev] New site sections
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:15:14 -0500

Heh, I'm imagining putting the entire population of the US behind a
firewall.....

It might also occur that a jury might choose a taskforce that has to make a
secret decision - everyone knows there is a decision, but can't let everyone
know what the decision actually was.  I'm thinking in terms of a business
that bids on a contract.  They don't want other companies to know what their
bid is, but they need to decide themselves.  A jury, rather than deciding
the bid directly, might assign a Taskforce to create a bid, and then that
Taskforce would keep it's decision secret till it's not important anymore.

Without a connection between the open system and the secret system, you lose
accountability.  The secret system can go off and do who knows what - this
is similar to the problem Congress has keeping the military in check.  I
think they create committees (ie Taskforces) that are briefed on secret
information that doesn't get shared with the rest of Congress or the nation
as a whole.  Thus, secret decisions are accountable to taskforces, which are
accountable to the whole.

-Mike