ampu-dev

Re: [Ampu-dev] a volunteer

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Ampu-dev] a volunteer
Date: 07 Mar 2002 00:05:10 +0000

Hi Steve,

I know we've all talked together a lot since you posted this, but I just
wanted to officially welcome you to the team =)

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 18:03, Stover, Michael wrote:
> Hi Lee and all,
>       I was on K5 and offered to help with AMPU back when you posted your
> story.  Sorry I'm late.
>
> I've read some of your documentation and mailing list archives.  I have only
> a vague idea of what you are designing, but this topic is very interesting
> to me.

Hopefully, after our IRC talks, that's all cleared up, but feel free to
ask about anything you're unsure of.  The whole thing is still evolving,
and every request for clarification is a welcome stress-test of the
concepts involved.

> I'm not sure how well I'd fit into your team.  Most of my skills are in
> Java+database+web stuff.  I'd certainly be happy to use most any
> non-windows-specific technology, however.

Those skills will probably be very useful, as we've mentioned.

> Philosophically, I have an XP (extreme programming) bias.  This means I
> normally take a minimalist approach to solving problems, test-first design,
> and requirements that make explicit what the system should allow a user to
> do.  It's also another way of saying I find UML diagrams damn confusing :-)
> Currently, I have at best a vague idea of what you want AMPU to be capable
> of.

Oh, sorry.. philosophy isn't allowed in AMPU =)  Just kidding =)

OK, well, UML is pretty much /the/ standard available for documenting
software, so that's what we're using.    But, having said that, none of
us really know it well, except for adiffer, who seems to use the
techniques quite often.

We'll be using UML to do exactly what you suggest... specifying
requirements explicitly before going to code.  Of course, there are
other benefits too, but that is probably the primary one at this point.

> However, I believe in Direct Democracy very strongly, and I'd like to see
> your project succeed.  To that end, I'm willing to help in most any way you
> deem appropriate.  My username on Savannah is "speek".

"most any way we deem appropriate", eh?  That might come back to haunt
you on launch day, when someone has to buy the first (virtual) round ;)

Seriously, though, I've added you to the Savannah project.  Once again,
welcome to the team - nice to have you on board =)

--
Lee Braiden,
AMPU Team

"coding a better government"