artanis

Re: Internationalization

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Internationalization
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:33:53 +0100

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 11:03:16AM +0100, Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski wrote:
> As I am reading about ways to provide translations of my first webapp.
> What is your workflow ?

This is not for Artanis, but for the Guix website I wrote gettext-like
macros for marking non-string s-expressions.  See the usage of G_ on

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/apps/base/templates/home.scm

It gets turned into a gettext POT file:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/po/guix-website.pot

However I imagine it is difficult to apply in Artanis, because sexps
marked with G_ are replaced by the macro expander with an sexp using
translations for all their strings and possibly reordering the sub
expressions.  In a dynamic web server, which replacement is used
should be decided at runtime, not compile time.  So each module would
have to be expanded once for each locale and the right expansion would
have to be used somehow.  But I am not experienced with Artanis.

Regards,
Florian