artanis

Logo idea for Artanis

From: Blake Shaw
Subject: Logo idea for Artanis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 03:48:24 +0700

Hello!

Relatively new Guiler here (but already obsessed). I've been using Guix
for about a year now but only in the last month started diving into the
Guile ecosystem beyond the confines of Guix.

Artanis seems like a great project! But it seems like it could use some
UX, as indicated by the call for a logo design in the README. So while
reading the docs today I started by correcting some grammatical
mistakes, which I sent as patches to MuLei@gnu.org (sorry if this was
not the correct place, I didn't see specifics for patches or a
patches-artanis@gnu in the README)

I won't lie, when I first stumbled upon Artanis the design of the
website threw me off a bit. A web framework should have a clean aesthetic,
and theres a few things about the web layout that I find messy. But
looking deeper it seems like Artanis is very good work, and I can't blame
hackers for not being designers.

Plus, this here GNU Artanis is free software! If something could use some
improving, its up to us to make it better.

I'm not a designer, but I do make my living doing interactive new media
installations, so I have some sense of aesthetics. I've also done quite
a lot of stuff in China. [1] Its a country I hold dear. But anyway,
I came up with this idea for a logo, and made a very rough draft:

Idea:
  - ∀Ⲗ The universal quantifier "for all" + lambda
    +  This keeps the logo simple -- if a new design team starts
       handling it, its a no brainer to implement
    +  Ok, "for all lambda" might be a bit generic and kind of obvious,
       but it does capture a simple idea: free software, for all without
       restriction, making developing web applications using the greatest
       programming language of all time, Scheme, a joy.
    +  The universal quantifier is

Mock-up:
  - Here is a *very* rough mockup using the free software UX design tool
    PenPot (my apologies to those of you who are JS adverse -- I
    sympathize entirely)
https://design.penpot.app/#/view/62970060-368b-11ec-83dc-f35c6ae458e9?page-id=62970061-368b-11ec-83dc-f35c6ae458e9&index=0&share-id=1deef7b0-3695-11ec-83dc-f35c6ae458e9

Let me know what you folks think of the direction, and we'll take things
from there.

Happy hacking,
Blake

[CW] The following links are from companies who don't even pretend to respect
your privacy
[1] * See for example the stage visuals I created for Jackson Wang from
Got7 for Tencent's festival at Ghuangzhou stadium
https://v.qq.com/x/cover/3mkyszik8e5zmtg/d0531dy6buq.html

[1.1] ** or for Z.Tao from Exo for the 2019 MangoTV awards
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=892721604437688 (definitely not
privacy concerned links, so I don't advise visiting -- unfortunately I
don't have a server hosting this of my own)