aspell-announce

Aspell Status as of Sep 22

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Aspell Status as of Sep 22
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:35:15 -0400 (EDT)

Aspell 0.50.2 should be out with in a couple of weeks.  A good number of
bugs have been fixed.  However, I am still trying to track down a bug with
ispell.el.  If you are interested in the most stable version of Aspell you
can use the "rel_0_50-branch" of the CVS version of Aspell.

A decent deal of work has been done toward Aspell 0.51 in the past
month:

* Aspell now has gettext support thanks to Sergey Poznyakoff.  Current
the only locale supported is "es".  Now would be a good time to consider
adding gettext support for your language.

* Rudimentary Loadable filter support has been added thanks to Sergey
Poznyakoff.  Christoph Hintermüller is working with me to improve it.

* I reworked the way soundslike lookups are handles typo-analysis is used.
This cut the suggestion time in most cases anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 and in
some cases even better.  It also reduces the size of the compiled Aspell
dictionary by roughly 20%.

All of these changes can be found in the latest CVS version of Aspell.  If
there is enough interest I will create a snapshot to make trying it out
easier.

Also:

* I am on the verge of adding affix support to Aspell.  Furthermore, I
have figured out a way to support both soundslike lookup and affix
compression at the same time.  Something, which I previously didn't think
was possible.

* Lutz Horn has converted roughly half of the Aspell manual to texinfo
format.  I am not sure if he is going to have time to finish the task.
So, if anyone is interested in picking up where he left off please let me
know.

There are still a decent number of jobs that remain to be done.  So if you
are interested in helping me with one of these tasks please email me at
address@hidden Good C++ skills are needed for most of these tasks
involving coding.

I am also still looking for someone to eventually take over the
maintenance and development of Aspell. If you are interested please
contact me directly.

* Clean up copyright notices and bring the Aspell package up to GNU
  Standards.

* Allow Aspell to check documents which are in UTF-8. The main thing to be
  done is to get Aspell to display UTF-8 correctly. This will involve
  being able to get the length of UTF-8 strings and display UTF-8 using
  the curses library.

* Make Aspell Thread safe. Even though Aspell itself is not multi-threaded
  I would like it to be thread safe so that it can be used by
  multi-threaded programs. There are several areas of Aspell that that
  are potently thread unsafe (such as accessing a global pool) and several
  several classes which have the potential of being used by more than one
  thread (such as the personal dictionary).

* Create a C++ interface for Aspell on top of the C interface.

* Enhance ispell.el so that it will work better with the new Aspell.

Kevin Atkinson,
The sole Aspell maintainer

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org