aspell-announce

Aspell Now Has Affix Compression Support

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Aspell Now Has Affix Compression Support
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:11:22 -0500 (EST)

I have just released another pre Aspell 0.51 snapshot, version
0.51-20040124.  This snapshot has several major changed from the previous
one.

The biggest being support for Affix Compression.  Affix compression stores
the root word and then a list of prefixes and suffixes that the word can
take, and thus saves a lot of space.  The codebase comes from MySpell
found in OpenOffice.  It uses the same affix file OpenOffice (and Mozilla)
use.  However, affix compression is currently incomputable with sounds like
look up which means that the suggestion quality will suffer.

The other major change is that the manual has been converted to texinfo
format thanks to the work of Chris Martin.

Other changes from Aspell 0.50:

  * Added support for loadable filters thanks to Christoph Hintermüller
  * Enhanced TEX filter to support recognize accent commands, such as the
    German umlaute, and to treat words with hyphenation characters in them
    as one word, also thanks to Christoph Hintermüller
  * Added gettext support thanks to Sergey Poznyakoff
  * Reworked how the dictionary is stored to take up less space (around
    80% for the English language) and be faster in some cases.
  * Reworked the build system so that a single Makefile is used for most
    of the code.

I would really appreciate it if people could test it out and report back
any bugs to the appropriate tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=245 .

Due to the changes in the build system I would really appreciate it if
package maintains could attempt to package it and report back any
problems.  Since this is a pre-release version please DO NOT replace
Aspell 0.50 with the snapshot as I do not consider it sufficiently stable
yet.  In particular, the way loadable filters are handles and the
dictionary format may change before Aspell 0.51.

I have registered the 'Aspell' domain with the Translation Project
(http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/index.html).  This means
that if you wish to contribute to contribute a translation for Aspell you
should go through them.

You can find the snapshot at
http://aspell.net/devel/aspell-0.51-20030124.tar.gz

Future snapshots will be uploaded to http://aspell.net/devel/.  It is
unlikely that I will announce every snapshot release to
aspell-announce.  So, if you are interested in following Aspell
development I suggest you subscribe to aspell-devel.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org