[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
GNU Aspell 0.60-pre3 Now Available
GNU Aspell 0.60-pre3 Now Available
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:33:10 -0400 (EDT)
The third official pre-release of GNU Aspell 0.60 is now available at:
You will also need to download at least one dictionary. Dictionaries
designed specifically for version 0.60 can be found at
However, dictionaries packages for Aspell 0.50 can generally also be used
so if you don't find the one you are looking for there also try
As always more info on Aspell itself can be found at http://aspell.net.
Changes from pre2:
* Implemented ignore-all option
* Fixed bug in check mode when manually entering in the word to replace
* Fixed bug is SGML filter so that non-ASCII characters are not SGML
* Made "Yes" choice a translatable string.
* Minor changes in two translatable strings (ie fuzzy)
Changes from pre1:
* Portability fixed so that it will run on Darwin.
* Portability fixes for Sun C++ compiler.
* Fixed bug so that replacement dictionaries are actually used
* Fixed bug so that TeX mode works.
I plan on creating an official release some time around the 21st of July.
Please test this out throughly. I am particularly interested in if it okay
with other applications that use Aspell as a library such as PHP. It
should be binary compatible with Aspell 0.50, but this has not been very
If you are a translator please work on updating the Aspell translation
in time for the official release of Aspell 0.60. Aspell pre3 created two
fuzzy strings and one new string to translate. I do not anticipate
any additional changes between now and the official release.
The following languages are currently incomplete:
Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR)
If you are not currently the translator for one of those languages but
would like to see a complete translation for your language please go ahead
and complete the translation. The currently translators have already been
notified and have yet to update their translation. For more info go to
If you are responsible for packaging Aspell please work on creating a
binary package for Aspell 0.60 and let me know if you run into problems.
Aspell 0.60 should be stable enough now so that it can replace Aspell
Finally here are the major changes form 0.50.5:
* Added support for Affix Compression. Affix compression stores the
root word and then a list of prefixes and suffixes that the word
can take, and thus saves a lot of space. The codebase comes from
MySpell found in OpenOffice. It uses the same affix file that
OpenOffice (and Mozilla) use.
* Added support for accepting all input and printing all output in
UTF-8 or some other encoding different from the one Aspell uses.
This includes support for Unicode normalization. Aspell can now
support any language with no more than 210 distinct characters,
including different capitalizations and accents, _even if_ there
is not an existing 8-bit encoding that supports the language.
* Added support for loadable filters and customizable filter modes
thanks to Christoph Hintermüller.
* Enhanced SGML filter to also support skipping sgml tags such as
"script" blocks thanks to Tom Snyder.
* Added gettext support thanks to Sergey Poznyakoff
* Reworked the compiled dictionary format. Compiled dictionaries
now take up less space (less than 80% for the English language) and
creating them is significantly faster (over 4 times for the
* Reworked suggestion code. It is significantly faster when dealing
with short words (up to 10 times). Also added support for MySpell
Replacement Tables and n-gram lookup. In addition, added basic
support for compound words.
* Manual has has been converted to texinfo format thanks to the work
of Chris Martin.
* Reworked the build system so that a single Makefile is used for
most of the code.
* Lots of other minor changes due to another massive overhaul of the
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- GNU Aspell 0.60-pre3 Now Available,
Kevin Atkinson <=