Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell and exotic languages

From: taneem
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell and exotic languages
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:18:00 -0500

Hi Evan,

I used aspell to create a Bengali (an indic language) spell checker (bspeller),
and it works fine.

http://www.bengalinux.org/projects/dictionary/bspeller.php

As far as I understand, if you can have an 8-bit encoding for a language, then
aspell can support it (but don't take my word for it). For the Bengali spell
checker the frontend uses utf-8 encoding; however, the aspell dictionary and
the interface between aspell library and bspeller uses an 8-bit encoding.

Thanks,
Taneem

Quoting Evan Martin <address@hidden>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious about Aspell's support for non-European languages.  I've
> seen at least two projects recently that spell-check Hebrew[1] and
> Arabic[2] and neither of them seem to be extensions to Aspell.  Could
> these projects be folded into Aspell, or would you say that some aspect
> of those languages (perhaps the morphology?  I don't know how clever
> Aspell is or whether it's all in the wordlist) is incompatible with
> Aspell's design?
>
> I'm sorry for the vague question.  I'm trying to determine whether I'll
> need to target multiple spelling backends simultaneously or whether
> Aspell will handle everything...
>
> [1] http://www.ivrix.org.il/projects/spell-checker/
> [2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Duali
>
> --
>       Evan Martin
> address@hidden
>   http://neugierig.org

This e-mail has undergone DECONtamination.
http://www.deconference.com
http://www.eyetap.org