Re: [aspell-devel] Compatibility with aspell/pspell-legacy Versions

From: Brian Nelson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Compatibility with aspell/pspell-legacy Versions
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:23:47 -0800

Rodney Dawes <address@hidden> writes:

> I am having a little trouble with aspell 0.50.x and trying to maintain
> compatibility with older aspell/pspell versions. Red Hat, and other
> distributions still ship the older versions, and have applicatins which
> depend on those, such as Abiword. However, for the new gnome-spell 1.0,
> which is needed by Evolution 1.3, I need to ship aspell 0.50.x. I have
> created compatibility packages which contain the libraries to keep the
> older dependencies in order, however, it seems that Abiword is no longer
> able to do spell checking as it can't find the dictionaries. Is it at
> all possible to have these things co-exist in a way that will allow me
> to maintain the ability for spell checking to work in these
> distributions, as I can't ship all of the packages that they have, which
> depend on the older configuration? I have checked the rpms for missing
> files, and it seems that everything exists, which leads me to believe
> that the dictionary format has changed, and these are incompatible. :-/

That's right.

> What can I do? Thanks.

Install two version of the dictionaries in separate directories, and
then use a wrapper script to set ASPELL_CONF to select the proper
data-dir and dict-dir.  It's kinda hackish, but I think it would work.

--
I had no feelings about it.  It was aloof and licked itself too much.
Like my cat Mr. Trotsky.