[aspell-devel] Filter Priority Scheme

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: [aspell-devel] Filter Priority Scheme
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:50:32 +0200

Hi
While testing the new filterinterface, available via loadable-branch from
cvs, i came across a strange behaviour of aspells url filter, which will
stay static filter.
It for example occured when using my context filter together with url
filter. In this case it sometimes hapened that the context filter didn't
recognize the delimted contexts correctly. I tracked this down to the
facht that url filter although beeing the most aggressive and least
configurable filter running with a priority nearly 1. While the
contextfilter right now runs with default priority 0.5.
If now a char sequence (at least one char) is immediatly followed by
something looking like an url eg. @<something> than url filter thought oh
it's and removed the sequence needed by context filter for properly
working.

I solved this by setting the priority of the url filter to 0 as imho url
filter should only see that stuff no other loaded filter hides.

So for future it will be necessary to set up some guidlines for devlopers
to set the filter priority properly in order not to negatively interact
with other filters. Priority should be dependent uppon how "aggessive" the
filter is and how detailed it may be configured during runtime.
And might be some other aspects.

cu
Christoph
ps.: my least changes have not yet been committed to cvs as at home I'm
still awaiting my modem from the cable company.