[aspell-devel] affix and phonetic merge

From: Paul Welter
Subject: [aspell-devel] affix and phonetic merge
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:45:02 -0500

Hi,

I'm creating an open source spell checker (http://sourceforge.net/projects/netspell/) in C# .net and I've integrated the phonetic code that aspell uses.  My question is, what was the technique that would allow the use of affix as well as phonetic codes?  It was mentioned in this list that a way had been found.  I have another questions about the aspell dictionaries, do they cache the phonetic code in the dictionary or is it calculated every iteration through the dictionary?  My thought on how to combine affix with phonetic codes was to cache the phonetic code for the base word in the dictionary as well as cache the phonetic code for the affix in the affix definition file.  Then, when generated suggestions, merge the affix code with the base word code and compare it with the test word code.  If match, it is a suggestion.  Is this the same idea that aspell would use?

thanks
Paul