[aspell-devel] Feedback (of a sort) and an idea

From: J. L. Brewer
Subject: [aspell-devel] Feedback (of a sort) and an idea
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:30:33 -0500

Maybe this will spark some intrest although I'm not really in a position to offer much in the line of suggestions. A friend recomended apsell to me because I was looking for a spell-checking tool that I could use outside of MSWord or without going to a website. I downloaded the windows version but it wasn't quite what I expected...I see it as just a tool to replace spell check in other programs or to check whole documents (but if I'm wrong and it can be used on its own, do tell me...I really only skimmed the all-UNIX doc page).

What I'd like to see is a small tool that I could run by itself and turn to when I need a spelling quickly (mostly when I'm doing live online chatting of some sort). It would run in the background and be a very small, bare-bones GUI tool (idealy located in either the task bar or system tray in Windows and their equivilants in KDE/Gnome) where one could type in a word, hit a search button and quickly get possible spellings (or see if you were correct)--in the case of aspell, it would call aspell and it's dictionaries to come up with the answers.

Does this sound like something people would like to do? Or if such a thing already exists (doesn't have to be connected to aspell), would someone point me toward it? (via private e-mail as I'm not subscribed to this list).