Re: [aspell-devel] How to submit a patch that adds a file

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] How to submit a patch that adds a file
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:15:37 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Gary Setter wrote:

> I know you need the output from diff when I submit a patch. But
> I'm not sure what you need when I need to add a new file. I need
> one patch with two diffs and one new file.
>
> Please let me know what you want.

Here is what you should do to submit patches now that you have cygwin
installed.

Make a copy of the source tree.  Lets call it "aspell-orig" (any name is
fine).  Make your changes to exiting source tree, lets call it
"aspell-new".  Than check that it will compile.

Now using Cygwin issue the command:
  diff -ubwrN aspell-orig aspell-new > aspell.diff

The -bw means to ignore white space a blank line changes
The -r  means to recurse on the entire directory
The -N  means to include new files.

You can find a manual of GNU diff online at
http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/manual/diff.html.

Than if necessary manually remove the changes you didn't want to include.
If you do try to apply the patch to make sure it is still valid.

This will create a diff that I can simply apply to my source tree and try
out.

If this is two much trouble please let me know.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org