Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell] - urgent help needed

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell] - urgent help needed
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:47:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arunkumar Srinivasan" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 11:20 AM
Subject: [aspell-devel] [aspell] - urgent help needed

Hi,

I am a newbie to this spell checking area. I am working on a Win
xp prof
platform. I installed aspell "Full Installer" from
http://aspell.net/win32/  I ran the setup and saved it in the
c:\programfiles\Aspell folder

Then I downloaded the aspell-en-0.50-2-3.exe
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/w32/Aspell-en-0.50-2-3.exe>
(precompiled
dictionary) ran the setup and saved it in the same folder
(c:\programfiles\Aspell). I went to the bin dir and ran
aspell.exe ..for
a test file using the command

Aspell check test.txt   ---> this gave me a list of options for
the
misspelled words. Now my questions are

a. Where is the config file? I tried "aspell config " it dumps me
list. How do I modify the config file?
b. How do I create my new dictionary? For example I want pt to be
recognized as patient what should be the name of the dict file
and which
folder I need to put it in?

Thank you
---- Reply ----

Hi Arun,

Did you check out the the Manual part of the download? There is a
html file called The-Options.html that describes the options.

a) That is a fairly old version of aspell, which I don't have on
my system anymore. If you check the manual, there is an enronment
variables and and a command line option to specify the config
directory and config file.

b) To make a new read only dictionary from a list of words type
aspell create master outfilename < infilename

You should read the manual to learn how to setup the master
dictionary as a multi dictionary and how to add your read only
dictionaries to it.

You are also invited to check out
http://sourceforge.net/projects/descdatadiary It makes use of
aspell for its spell checking and it makes use of my windows port
of aspell 0.60.3. It is only alpha version, but I'm interested in
feedback and so on.

best regards,
Gary