Re: [aspell-devel] Am interested in working for Aspell in Tamil

From: gora
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Am interested in working for Aspell in Tamil
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:46:08 +0100

On 12:30:53 pm 11/13/06 " ம.ராமதாஸ் " <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to work for aspell in making it a vital dictionary
> source for Tamil.
>
> I have to start from scratch. Please guide me.

There is already an aspell Tamil dictionary (see
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/ta/) contributed by the FOSS
localisation team at tamizha.org. It is pretty basic, with
about 14,000 entries, and no special rules for Tamil. The aspell
documentation is pretty extensive and covers how one can go about
improving the dictionary.
  We have embarked on such an effort for Hindi, and while we are
still in the process of developing and testing the ruleset, I will
make the present work publicly available soon, though it will not
be submitted to aspell until such time as we are happy with it.
You are free to use that as a basis for work on improving the Tamil
dictionary. I would also suggest joining the indlinux-group mailing
list, which is where we are probably going to discuss the design of
an Indian language spellchecker. You can subscribe to it, or view
archives, from the top of the page,
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/MailingLists

Regards,
Gora