Re: [aspell-devel] Big wordlist and affix lexicons

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Big wordlist and affix lexicons
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:52:40 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Børre Gaup wrote:

The problem is that hunspell is not as ubiquitous as aspell. As far as I have
seen hunspell is not commonly used, but aspell is used both in Linux and in
Mac OS X (through Cocoaspell). Hunspell is _intended_ to replace myspell in
openoffice.org (according to it's homepage).

What features in hunspell would you specifically like to have in aspell?

Possibly:

- Max. 65535 affix classes and twofold affix stripping

- Handling conditional affixes, circumfixes, fogemorphemes, forbidden
  words, pseudoroots and homonyms.

- Support complex compoundings

I believe some of these will benefit you.

However I only want to implement them if these is a clear benefit to it.
For example based on what several people have told be complex compounding rules are not worth it.

Aspell is far more complex then Myspell and each feature needs to implemented carefully so that it will behave sensibly with the suggestion code. Also it is important that the addition of the feature won't degrade performance, Especially when the feature isn't used.