Re: [aspell-devel] Two questions about run-together words, and affixes

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Two questions about run-together words, and affixes
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 03:28:34 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Gora Mohanty wrote:

(a) Run-together words: It seems that for a long mispelled word that
   is close to two smaller words, aspell first suggests combinations
   of shorter words. For example, in English, "ratdog" turns up
   "rat dog" and "rat-dog" as the first two suggestions. I had
   thought that this was because of run-together words, but using
   "run-together false" in the .dat file does not seem to make a
   difference. I understand why one would want to have run-together
   words in the suggestion, but is there any way I could eliminate
   them (for example, one does not hyphenate words in Hindi), or
   use a weighting to reduce their importance, so that they appear
   later in the list of suggestions.

See, sug-split-char, if it is set to the empty list than it won't try to split the words.

(b) Affix rules: Though affix rules seem to be working properly for
   Hindi, is there any way that I could have aspell accept, e.g.,
   "word + suffix" as correct, when only "word" is in the dictionary,
   but there is an affix rule for "word + suffix"? Alternatively,
   would it be possible for "word + suffix" to appear as the first
   suggestion in such a case? The reason that this would be useful
   is that Hindi makes a lot of use of suffices, and without these
   being marked correct, an auto-spellchecked document gets cluttered
   with spurious underlinings.

The "guess" option will sort-of do what you want.

You should really add the appropriate flags to the base forms.