Re: [aspell-devel] Need Help

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Need Help
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:58:06 -0800

On Sunday 06 November 2011 23:42:32 Johnykutty Mathew wrote:
> Hi,
> I am an ios developer.
> I want to check a given string is valid English word or not.
> I need your help to do this.
> Can I use Aspell for this.

Unfortunately, the terms for iOS and LGPL are not compatible.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=ios+lgpl+compatible

Apple is not going to host LGPL or any source-code on their app store.
...and for you to be compatible, you would need to host source code for
anyone wishing to modify the Aspell library. This also presents another
problem in that Apple is not going to be around allowing end-users to
modify programs to meet their needs.

If you are going to look at, or use a spell checker, look at Ispell, since
it is "BSD" licensed, and therefore compatible with your iOS license.
I believe you just need to include "credits" in a help menu or something to
satisfy the BSD requirements.

> If yes please help me to add the aspell libraries to xcode project. And
> i am  using objective c for ios programming

Be aware that even if you do compile the code into a binary, there still
are ways of discovering what you've done if the author for Aspell, or if
someone else (like for example, the EFF) decides to investigate...

...plenty of examples...
http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/11/06/microsoft-lifts-gpl-code-uses-in-microsoft-store-tool/
http://www.the-interweb.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/52-Is-Sony-in-violation-of-the-LGPL-Part-II.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2666552/is-it-illegal-to-statically-link-lgpl