Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell (0.60.6.1) bug on finding suggestions for dott

From: Carlo Traverso
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell (0.60.6.1) bug on finding suggestions for dotted numeric word
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 09:18:07 +0200 (CEST)

    Kevin> Hi,

    Kevin> A test case would be very useful.  For example a small
    Kevin> sample program that causes Aspell to crash.

    Kevin> Thank, Kevin

    Kevin> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Guido Trentalancia wrote:

    >> Hello !
    >>
    >> I am hitting an aspell bug when the application tries to find
    >> suggestions for a dotted numeric "word" (e.g. 2.2.02.148).
    >>
    >> Here is the stack trace from gdb:

>From the trace, apparently the issue is the interaction between
evolution, enchant and aspell. Enchant is great, but the definition of
word is much wider than aspell definition of word, and in this case it
tries to get suggestions on a string that does not contain any legal
character. While this call may be seen as an enchant error, aspell
should return an empty list, not a crash. But I am not even sure that
aspell is involved in this crash; I see just a crash in the enchant
backend for aspell, not in aspell itself.

Remark also that 2.2.02.148 is not a word, not even for enchant;
and calling a function with arguments of a wrong type is looking for
trouble (for example, calling enchant -a with 11-22, that is a correct
enchant word, gives meaningful, although useless, suggestions; and
calling it on 2.2.02.148 gives 4 correct words: 1, 2, 02, 148). So
probably the issue is in the evolution/enchant interface. So my
first-sight opinion is that this is an evolution bug.

Carlo