[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Mailing lists...

From: David Kastrup
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:26:06 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 24 2005, Reiner Steib wrote:
>> I would propose:
>>
>> - Keep the current (=old) Gmane groups.

Not really enthused about that idea.  Can they be hidden from the
group display, so that article links still work, but the groups are
not visible in the group overview anymore?

>> - Create the new mailing lists and request corresponding Gmane groups:
>>   gmane.emacs.auctex.{general,devel,announce,bugs}
>>   (g.e.a.commits (auctex-diffs) and g.e.a.cvs (auctex-commit) later as
>>   you suggested below).
>>
>>   After requesting the Gmane groups, the Gmane admins will sent out
>>   subscriptions reques to the lists and inform the list admin (see
>>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/2781
>>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.vm.kaffe.general/40)
>>
>>   The groups will be created as soon as new messages arrive (or
>>   after archives are imported--I'm not 100% sure about this).
>>
>> - Import the archives into the new groups:
>>
>>   gelp.bugs   -> gmane.emacs.auctex.bugs
>>   gelp.devel  -> gmane.emacs.auctex.devel
>>   ge.auc-tex  -> gmane.emacs.auctex.general
>>
>>   This step is not strictly necessary, but I would suggest to do it.
>>   E.g. it would simplify searching for old discussions/problems if you
>>   don't have to search the obsoleted groups.
>
> David, what is your opinion/decision on this proposal?  I will
> arrange things with the Gmane admins if you agree.

I wanted to point out that it is probably a bad idea to merge the
archives of several lists, as the discussions are not related.  I have
by now found out that more or less by pure blind luck, this is a 1:1
scheme.  So it probably would not harm to do this.