Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Bug reporting proposal

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Bug reporting proposal
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:24:33 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> As there now is a single mailing list for reporting both AUCTeX and
> preview-latex bugs, I'd like to have an easy way to distinguish bug
> reports; ideally in the subject of the mails.
>
> preview-latex let-binds `reporter-prompt-for-summary-p'.  This has the
> effect that the version string passed ot `reporter-submit-bug-report'
> will be included in the subject.  In AUCTeX the version string looks
> like "AUCTeX CVS-5.493 (2005-03-28)" which is IMO too long to be
> inserted in the subject.  I would prefer a string consisting of the
> version number and a specifier if the bug report refers to AUCTeX or
> preview-latex, e.g. "CVS-5.493 (AUC)" or "CVS-1.246 (PRV)"
> respectively.

We should strive not to invent ever new identifiers.  Since the
reported versions are file-bound, we could use

  tex-5.493

and

  preview-1.246

for the CVS version based reports.  For the release numbers, it would
probably be ok just to give the release number, nothing else.
preview-latex releases will never reach, or at least never exceed 1.x,
I think.

> The problem now is that the string will be used for the "Package:"
> info as well and we would lose the information about the date.  In
> order to remedy this, `AUCTeX-date' could be included in the
> variables to be printed.

That is a good idea.

Anyway, while you are at it:

    Your bug report will be posted to the AUCTeX mailing list.")))

seems to be a rather blatant lie.

Oops.