Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Special hyphen string insertion for (n)german.sty

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Special hyphen string insertion for (n)german.sty
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:28:21 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-03-30) writes:

> Leafing through the output of
>
>     texdoc babel/user
>
> seems to indicate that this sort of functionality would seem
> appropriate for most languages with Germanic root (the most notable
> exception being English), and probably two thirds of the Romanic
> languages.
>
> So it seems that instead of *-german-*, a name like *-babel-* would be
> more appropriate, and one should think about how to make it best
> possible to implement this sort of stuff such that the language style
> files don't need to replicate it, and the user can easily override the
> default also per language.

Hm, it could probably done by moving the insert function to latex.el,
setting the defaults to nil and letting the language style files
activate the functionality by setting the respective variables.  The
user could override these settings by customizing an alist with
languages and corresponding variable values.

I haven't had the time to think about your other suggestion
(integrating special hyphen insertion with quotation mark insertion)
but quotation insertion needs a bit more logic than hyphen insertion
and I don't if it is feasible to throw these two together.