[AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:45:15 +0200

Jan-Åke Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Well that is why I proposed AUCTEX_PATH_PREFIX gets two explicit
>> arguments to tell it just which variables to set.  So that one does
>> not need to keep setting and resetting $prefix.
>
> Well, with the current EMACS_EXAMINE_INSTALLATION_DIR that is what
> you'll need to do. And if we're going to rewrite that, there is no need
> to write an AUCTEX_PATH_PREFIX.

Uh, what?  I'll worry about EMACS_EXAMINE_INSTALLATION_DIR after I
finished this.  Maybe it can just use AUCTEX_PATH_PREFIX then.  Focus,
David, focus.

>> Well, at least we have found that the Emacs-version specific
>> site-lisp directory typically appears before the Emacs-version
>> neutral site-lisp directory (which makes sense).
>
> Very good.

Not necessarily.  We want to be in the Emacs-version neutral site-lisp
directory ("version" meaning something like 21.3, not "flavor" which
would be emacs/xemacs).

>>> It is not *that* much more work to say
>>> --with-packagelispdir='${lispdir}/foo/bar' The _vital_ bit is that
>>> we allow setting it in the first place.
>> Sigh.  The difference is what happens in auto.el.  Relative paths
>> are
>> coded completely different from absolute paths there.
>
> auto.el? ..reading... And lisppackagelispdir is nowhere to be found in
> either configure.in nor aclocal.m4...reading... Oh, AC_LISPIFY_DIR
> (shudder) are you really serious on using this? It must be a nightmare
> to debug.

Uh, we _were_ already releasing 0.9 with it.  Ok, "we" might be an
exaggeration, but we did not really get any complaint about that
particular thing, did we?

> OK. So relative paths are expanded relative to(...) yes, right: the
> location of preview-latex.el ($lispdir according to Makefile),
> rather than the directory configure thinks it will be installed into
> (which is $lispdir). Hmm, are we talking about relocatable packages
> here?

Bingo.  That's what made joining most of the location code for
-with-packagedir with the rest possible.