[AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:00:09 +0200

Jan-Åke Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> I have made it
>>   [['${datadir}/texmf' "${texprefix}/texmf-local" "${texprefix}/texmf"]],
>> for now.
>
> Good. I originally included ${datadir}/texmf-local because I was afraid
> ${datadir}/texmf would match ${datadir}/texmf-config

Match is strictly by path components, everything between any
back\-forward/-slashery.  I don't think I can do something about case
sensitivity, so MacOS and Windows users still have to watch out there.

The scheme really should be reasonably transparent, even if the
implementation itself might not be optimal.  My aclocal.m4 comments by
no means are cast into stone: if something is incomprehensible about
them, or you want a different order of arguments or whatever, feel
free to do whatever you think would be required to make you feel
comfortable with doing the bulk^w^w^w uh, feeling at ease with the
code.

The main problem with the previous code basically was that people had
to go through too many hoops except on GNU/Linux systems.  It simply
is embarrassing to tell people "just install MSYS, and everything
becomes easy", and then wagonloads of problems occur, and they give
all sort of strange options, try ugly workarounds, rename stuff and so
on, and then say "well, it was a bit of a challenge for me, and I
would not recommend it to anybody, but if that's what you think is
easy, then it probably is not possible to do better".

We had a few reports too many of that kind.

Another thing: if the site-lisp directory has a readable sub-directory
site-start.d, should we relocate preview-latex.el there automatically
(unless --without-sitestartdir is specified or something)?  Seems like
a reasonable assumption, and would probably simplify installation
instructions quite a bit.