[AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:10:59 +0200

Jan-Åke Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> The scheme really should be reasonably transparent, even if the
>> implementation itself might not be optimal.  My aclocal.m4 comments
>> by no means are cast into stone: if something is incomprehensible
>> about them, or you want a different order of arguments or whatever,
>> feel free to do whatever you think would be required to make you
>> feel comfortable with doing the bulk^w^w^w uh, feeling at ease with
>> the code.
>
> When you have released 0.9.1 (and I get some time on my hands) I'll have
> a look at the code^h^hmments.

Looks like I should release without further ado if I am eager to push
work off to others.  Which I always am.  BachoTeX final paper deadline
is coming up, and I have a bigfoot-related deadline as well.

>> Another thing: if the site-lisp directory has a readable
>> sub-directory site-start.d, should we relocate preview-latex.el
>> there automatically (unless --without-sitestartdir is specified or
>> something)?  Seems like a reasonable assumption, and would probably
>> simplify installation instructions quite a bit.
>
> Hmmm. Aren't these directories sometimes populated with numbered
> entries?  On my Solaris machine, this is not the case, but...
>
> Another suggestion: we _could_ have an --enable-relocatable switch
> for activating this relative stuff instead of specifying relative
> directories as input to a number of switches and not to others.

On second thought: just forget it for now.  If we wanted to cater for
site-start.d better than currently, the whole documentation would have
to get overhauled again.

I want this thing out, and AUCTeX should not follow far behind (I have
some Mule-related fixes in AUCTeX that are vital to preview-latex).  I
think we should aim for a quick&dirty AUCTeX-11.80 that uses the new
aclocal.m4 and descends into the preview directory for configure and
install unless told not to do so.  No further integration of AUCTeX
and preview for 11.80, I guess, except for making preview-version do
something sensible when the RCS keyword happens to be an AUCTeX
release number.

Any showstoppers for this schedule?  It would mean preview-latex 0.9.1
gets out today, and AUCTeX-11.80 gets out early next week.  Should be
doable without too much duct tape.