Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: preview-latex 0.9.1 and AUCTeX 11.whatever
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:00:22 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-04-01) writes:
>
>> Any showstoppers for this schedule?  It would mean preview-latex
>> 0.9.1 gets out today,
>
> I always get a funny feeling in my stomach when you don't allow new
> code to settle.
>
> Damn hack'n'go mentality. (c;

Guilty, your honor.  However, the last time I held out and commented
several times that the release would be very soon now, people tended
not to take me seriously after a few months.  Hack'n'go at least has
the advantage that the bug reports give incentives for improvement.

>> and AUCTeX-11.80
>
> What happened to 11.60?  Must be some sort of numbering fetish going
> on here.

11.60 is the next version without preview-latex (it is no longer the
11.5x series because extensive changes have gone into it), 11.80 the
11.next version with preview-latex.  Simple as that.  If it looks
11.doable, I'd like to avoid 11.60.

If you wonder about the last paragraph: the 11. prefix of the last two
lines is Emacs' work, not mine.  Almost Word-like intelligence.
Remove the 11. from both lines, press M-q, and they reappear.

Good thing this is not a LaTeX buffer.

12.0 is the version where everything is integrated nicely enough that
we are happy about it, and that includes the documentation.

>> gets out early next week.  Should be
>> doable without too much duct tape.
>
> I have this language-specific quote/hyphen thingy nearly finished.
> It allowed my to throw out that crutch we have with
> `LaTeX-{italian,german}*quote*'.  Instead, two alists are used where
> the user may customize quote and hyphen insertion behavior.  It
> would not be the worst thing to check it in together with the
> necessary documentation instead of shipping the half-backed state it
> currently is in.

Sounds reasonable.  11.80 is a far cry from 12.0, and the first
version including preview-latex will not be expected to be so solidly
stable that we would not dare putting anything remotely new in.

> As you want to have the new preview-latex release linked and
> downloadable somewhere, I'll have to erect the new site shortly as
> well.  Any comments on the current state?

It may be tiring, but when asking about the current state, it does not
hurt to include the link instead of expecting people to hunt through
old postings for it.  Lazy, I know.

> As written before there are missing a few sentences for linking to
> the downloads and manual of preview-latex, but that should not be
> the problem.  And I might revert to a more conservative tag line.

Apropos: the RELEASE from preview-latex points to the dvipng
development site on www.nongnu.org.  That development site mentions a
non-existent home page, a non-active mailing list and IIRC a
non-existent download area, while presumably presenting the current
CVS.  I don't want to mislead people into anything wrong.  Jan-Åke,
any suggestions about what we should put into RELEASE in the hope of
not confusing too many people?  I have not checked what we say about
dvipng in the rest of the docs, either.