Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Uh, Jan-Åke?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Uh, Jan-Åke?
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:32:30 +0200

Jan-Åke Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> It also does nothing useful.  As a minimum AC_SUBST(emacsprefix)
>> would be necessary for @emacsprefix@ to carry any meaning, not to
>> mention the AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY junk.
>
> The workings of the build system I do know. In the version I checked
> in, ${emacsprefix} is carried over verbatim into the Makefile, and
> AC_SUBST'ed. Check
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/auctex/auctex/preview/aclocal.m4?rev=1.45
>
> If you had other ideas, fine.  I am not blaming you for this.  But
> when you change code, don't blame me for it afterwards.

You probably would not believe me if I said that I did not remember
changing that code in particular and throwing the references out.  You
are definitely correct that the previous version of aclocal.m4 would
have required exporting emacsprefix, and that when changing that
requirement, it would have been my responsibility to remove the export
tags in Makefile.in, as well.

I apologize for that.

> All I did was to say: I'll have a look at the build system and
> simplify it if I can. Spare the condescending remarks for someone
> else.

I was not attempting to be condescending, but tried explaining what
the problem was, without realizing that I myself was the cause of it.

I am sorry for that.  It is not always easy to keep track of
everything, and it would probably also be inefficient to hunt through
reversion histories each time instead of trying to ask on the list.

If you'd prefer a different project manager, I am open to suggestions.