Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] This ascender bug in dvipng mode...
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:25:22 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
It is definitely a pity that we now have had two releases quite
unnecessarily which don't work properly with dvipng.

Indeed. But it is not as bad as I first thought. It is only since rev 1.94 of preview.dtx that things don't work. That is, 0.9 and 0.9.1.
This preview-bop-level stuff.

What heuristic do you exactly employ for detecting preview-latex?  It
is quite likely possible to document this in preview.dtx so that it
won't get changed accidentally again.  We should have communicated
better about that previously.

ISTR I did ask. But this was a long long time ago. Of course I should
have documented this in preview.dtx. Heuristics? Exact string match.
Brilliant, eh?

In tetex-3.0, the combination is preview 0.8.1 and dvipng 1.5 which work
together, that is something at least.

The down side of reverting the change is that some included EPSes will
not work again... May I suggest a new release of dvipng instead? An additional string match _and_ a new option value added?

/JÅ