[AUCTeX-devel] Fontifying of titles...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Fontifying of titles...
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:42:53 +0200

Hi,

I think it can by now be safely be said that the fontification of
sectioning commands has been one of the more frequent complaints about
AUCTeX recently.

It is also _mentioned_ as a prominent feature not unfrequently.

We need to do something about it, I am afraid.

Either we have to make it produce a more visually appealing result, or
we must make it much easier to turn it on/off.

Of course, when possible it is better to make one good behavior
instead of letting the user choose between two bad ones...

But if we need to chose: maybe we need a "frequent options" menu,
maybe something in the Show/Hide menu.

What can be done to make this more visually appealing?  The main
problem is the \section{} around it in different size.  The
preview-latex way of "fontification" avoids this.  When you see the
\section, the contents is the same size, and when you don't, the stuff
around the title simply is invisible and its different size is not an
issue.

Some improvements may be to lower the baseline somewhat to make it
appear more like an inset into the \section and/or to add some
horizontal space to visually offset the title.

If we get really mad, this could look something like

\section{                SECTION TITLE                   }

namely centering the beast.