[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/tex.el

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/tex.el
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:06:03 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-07) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> -(defvar TeX-output-extension "dvi"
>> +(defvar TeX-output-extension (if TeX-PDF-mode "pdf" "dvi")
>>    "Extension of TeX output file.
>>  This is either a string or a list with
>>  a string as element.  Its value is obtained from `TeX-command-output-list'.
>
> Uh, Ralf?  Is this sensible?  Unless I am mistaken, this just sets the
> value at load time of tex.el.  The default should probably rather be
> determined buffer-locally when TeX-modes get initialized.

The value of `TeX-output-extension' will already be changed by the
minor mode function `TeX-PDF-mode'.  But this function will only be
called when the mode is toggled, not when the mode is being
initialized.  That means, if you customized `TeX-PDF-mode' to a value
of t and open a LaTeX file, the value of `TeX-output-extension' will
still be "dvi".  The patch simply makes the default of
`TeX-output-extension' correspond to the default of `TeX-PDF-mode'.