[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:14:33 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-08) writes:

> Except in the case of a system installation, I think it reasonable to
> overwrite the site-specific version.

Okay.  So it works as designed. (c:

>> It's probably hard to achieve for BSDs where all third-party
>> software goes into /usr/local.
>
> Even the stuff that is in the Ports system?

Yes.  The teTeX 3 installation for example was done using the ports
collection.

AFAIU /usr is for the base system, i.e. mostly BSD userland as the
kernel lives in /boot.  Then there is /usr/X11R6 for X and programs
running on X (e.g. firefox and gkrellm executables are in
/usr/X11R6/bin) and /usr/local for the majority of programs from the
ports collection.