[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Anything missing for 0.9.2?
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:55:07 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-08) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> AFAIU /usr is for the base system, i.e. mostly BSD userland as the
>> kernel lives in /boot.  Then there is /usr/X11R6 for X and programs
>> running on X (e.g. firefox and gkrellm executables are in
>> /usr/X11R6/bin) and /usr/local for the majority of programs from the
>> ports collection.

There is a bit more educated information about the directory structure at
<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/dirstructure.html>.

> Pity.  Usually we don't want to overwrite systems under package
> control.  So maybe we should go for ${prefix}...texmf-local first
> after all.

I haven't really looked at the meaning of all the variables involved,
but what about adding '${datadir}/texmf-local' to the front of

'${datadir}/texmf' "${texprefix}/share/texmf-local"
"${texprefix}/share/texmf" "${texprefix}/texmf-local"
"${texprefix}/texmf"

?

Provided there is a /usr/local tree and a /usr tree, what this should
achieve is to check all the possible /usr/local locations first and
then the ones in /usr.  This should give sensible results
independently of the TeX system being installed in /usr/local or /usr
(leaving aside installations in a user's home directory).

In the end texmf-local stands somewhat orthogonal to the distinction
of /usr/local being managed by the user and /usr by the package
management system.  In some sense, /usr/share/texmf-local is still
under the control of package management.