Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:00:56 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 08 2005, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> * Reiner Steib (2005-04-07) writes:
>>
>>> I'm using `height' for `font-latex-fontify-script', but in some
>>> situations, I don't like the appearance:
>>>
>>> - When the number of characters in the line (macro plus title) is
>>>   close to my window width.  I.e. with `color', it would fit, but with
>>>   `height' it is wrapped.
>>
>> In such cases I tend to format the lines in concern manually.
>
> This would result in a document which looks nice only with AUCTeX
> and specific font settings.  I think we had a discussion about this
> (WRT filling with tex-fold or preview-latex) and IIRC we agreed that
> this is not a good idea.

Actually, the discussion was more about how to avoid overlong lines.
I think breaking a line to the visual line length when the visual line
length is _larger_ is pretty much ok.

All of the preview-latex/font-lock/TeX-fold stuff means that we have
conflicting goals.  The priorities for resolution are:

a) No overfull lines in the "regular" AUCTeX display where "regular"
is the state at the time the paragraph formatter is called.  This is
the state people have to work with all the time.  It better be good.

b) No overfull lines in the pure ASCII presentation.  This is the
state that is going to be passed around.

c) well-filled lines in the regular AUCTeX display.

d) well-filled lines in the ASCII display.

e) no overfull lines in intermediate states of the display (like when
some folds and/or previews are open and others not).

So in the case of titles, sectioning and similar, I think we really
should adapt the line breaking to match the font size.  It is much
more problematic what to do when working with small print.

Maybe we should really have _two_ values of fill-column, one for
ASCII, and one for the graphic display...

Anyway, I think we _definitely_ should break title lines according to
their visual representation.  We don't want AUCTeX to format stuff in
a way that makes it look worst under AUCTeX.  A somewhat shorter ASCII
filling here is definitely something we can live with.