Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fontifying of titles...
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:24:36 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I find this in indent.c:
>
> double
> current_column ()
> {
> [...]
>
>   if (PT == last_known_column_point
>       && MODIFF == last_known_column_modified)
>     return last_known_column;
>
>   /* If the buffer has overlays, text properties,
>      or multibyte characters, use a more general algorithm.  */
>   if (BUF_INTERVALS (current_buffer)
>       || current_buffer->overlays_before
>       || current_buffer->overlays_after
>       || Z != Z_BYTE)
>     return current_column_1 ();

And I should have looked at current_column_1, too.  Seems that the
only interesting text properties here are 'invisible' mostly.

> [...]
>
> So it would definitely seem like current-column is _supposed_ to take
> sich things into account.
>
> If it doesn't, wouldn't that be good for a bug report?

Anyway, here is another idea for "Emergency wrapping": use
`vertical-motion' for checking that the wrap positions are still in
the physical screen line.  Maybe this should be done only if used
interactively, though.

I was at first afraid that this would wreak havoc when the windows are
split horizontally, but that case could be catered for by binding
truncate-partial-width-windows to t.