Re: [AUCTeX-devel] suggestion for improving inverse search

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] suggestion for improving inverse search
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:23:42 +0200

Olive <address@hidden> writes:

> The default behaviour of emacsclient has a major inconvenient with
> auctex: if a file is modified and we perform an inverse search on it
> he ask the question if the user want to revert the buffer. This is
> annoying and dangerous if the user answer yes too fast because he
> losts all his change.

[...]

> Another problem is that auctex should chhose the window where too
> display the buffer in a smart way. I pe-ropose the following
> algorithm:
>
> 1) If the file is already displayed somewhere, just go to the correct
>    line in the good place.
>
> 2) If 1) is false try to choose a window not displaying a compilation
>    result (rationale: it is common to have the upper window displaying
>    some latex file and the bottom the compilation; inverse serach
>    should ne break this.
>
> 3) Otherwise display the result in any available window.
>
> In order to implement this I need to know if is easily possible to
> test if a buffer is a compilation buffer. Anyone has a suggestion?
> (I am new to auctex and also to elisp)

Any comments about that?

Anyway, a compilation buffer would probably have
(local-variable-p TeX-sentinel-function)
set.

Sorry that there is not much of a response right now: we are in the
process of integrating the installation procedures of AUCTeX and
preview-latex, and I am also preparing talks for BachoTeX and "day
job" TeX stuff, to boot.