Re: [AUCTeX-devel] LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:36:38 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> In order to make customization of `LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix' easier,
> I made it accept a string in the format suitable for `kbd'.  It now
> has a mixed defcustom where you can choose between a string and a
> sexp.  Formerly we only had a sexp (which meant you had to add
> non-ASCII keys with something like [?§]).  Contrary to the type of
> defcustom the manual described it as a string.
>
> The change I made is fully backwards compatible.  That means in case
> somebody actually customized the value to [?§] or similar there
> won't be an error and it will be displayed correctly in the
> customization buffer.  The drawback is that it adds both complexity
> at the user interface for customization and at the code level.

> So I made up my mind and think it would be a good idea to reduce
> this complexity.  The rigorous way would be to accept only a string
> both at user interface and code level.  Of course this will result
> in an error for people not using a string.
>
> The alternative would be to remove compatibility only at user
> interface level.  That means the defcustom would accept only a
> string but the code below could still deal with any Elisp
> expression.  People not using a string won't see any difference
> unless they try to customize the variable.  Then they might get a
> wrong display in the customization buffer.

This is what I prefer.  We should not break compatibility without
preannouncements and a migration plan and whatever without technical
necessity.

> Currently I favor the rigorous way accompanied by a note in the news
> because it is cleaner.  Any other opinions?

Change this at the user interface level only.

Anyway, I think it really sucks that things like
LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix can't be customized without reloading Emacs.
The same thing holds for a number of other features like
LaTeX-math-menu-unicode.  This makes it rather hard to let people try
out those features.