Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Web site update

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Web site update
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:50:27 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> You can find a proposal for a web site update at
> <URL:http://www.iwi.uni-sb.de/angeli/misc/auctex/upd/>.
>
> The main change is that preview-latex got its own page.  This might
> be extended to become part of a full-fledged feature exhibition for
> AUCTeX as a whole but currently I don't have the necessary time to
> do this.

This looks good.  Some minor points: I am not sure whether
preview-latex should get its own menu entry in the overview instead of
just being linked to from the "intro" and "features" page: it appears
strange to mention it separately from "features" since it is a
feature.

Then obviously it is strange that the screen shots for open and closed
previews show completely different areas of the text.  This makes it
harder to compare the effects.  I don't think that links from the
small extracts to the whole screen are useful: this is not a matter of
thumbnails, and clicking will distract from the reading.

I'd place corresponding screenshots of open and closed previews
directly after another without explaining text.  In fact, where
JavaScript was available, I would be tempted to make the change with
mouse-over in the same place.

The PStricks screenshot is confusing since it seems to imply that
_both_ text and image are visible at the same time.  I'd split it into
two shots again.

> The wording on the new page feels a bit clumsy sometimes, so
> improvements on that are welcome.  And I am still searching for a
> good pstricks example which shows something else than math and
> doesn't require to install a whole bunch of additional packages.
> Also it should look somewhat decent in the 80-pixel-high cutout.

Perhaps something from the PStricks documentation itself?